In only eight years, it had risen in size from 88th in the nation to 20th, and it was the 11th largest state university in the nation.Long financed these improvements by arranging for the state to purchase acreage from the old LSU campus, which adjoined the grounds of the new State Capitol building in downtown Baton Rouge.This prompted the final name change for the university to the Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College. She was admitted into a program to pursue a master's degree.In 1905, LSU admitted its first female student, Miss R. The following year, 1906, LSU admitted sixteen female students to its freshman class as part of an experimental program. In 1907, LSU's first female graduate, Miss Martha Mc C. On April 30, 1926, the present LSU campus was formally dedicated, following the school's history at the federal garrison grounds (now the site of the state capitol) where it had been located since 1886.Louisiana State University Agricultural & Mechanical College was established by an act of the legislature, approved April 7, 1874, to carry out the United States Morrill Act of 1862, granting lands for this purpose.It temporarily opened in New Orleans, June 1, 1874, where it remained until it merged with Louisiana State University in 1877.Louisiana State University Agricultural & Mechanical College had its origin in several land grants made by the United States government in 1806, 1811, and 1827 for use as a seminary of learning.
The seminary officially reopened its doors on October 2, 1865, only to be burned October 15, 1869.
On November 1, 1869, the institution resumed its exercises in Baton Rouge, where it has since remained.
In 1870, the name of the institution was officially changed to Louisiana State University.
Following the surrender of the Confederates at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865, General Sherman donated two cannons to the institution.
These cannons had been captured from Confederate forces after the close of the war and had been used during the initial firing upon Fort Sumter in April 1861.